Denemek ALTIN - Özgür
Spain in mourning as death toll from catastrophic floods rises to more than 150
The Guardian
|November 01, 2024
The death toll from devastating floods in eastern Spain has risen to more than 150, regional authorities and emergency services have said, as the country began three days of mourning and the prime minister, Pedro Sánchez, urged people to stay at home.
-
With forecasts of more bad weather prompting storm alerts farther north, Sánchez pleaded with residents yesterday to follow the calls of the emergency services, saying: "Right now, the most important thing is to save as many lives as possible." Officials in the stricken eastern region of Valencia said yesterday afternoon that 155 bodies had been recovered there, with three deaths also reported from the Castilla-La Mancha and Andalucia regions. Authorities have not discloased how many people are still unaccounted for, but the defence minister, Margarita Robles, said earlier that the death toll was expected to rise given that some areas remained inaccessible to rescuers.
Flags flew at half-mast on government buildings and a minute of silence was observed nationwide.
The flash floods battered Valencia's infrastructure, sweeping away bridges, roads and railway tracks and submerging farmland.
Survivors described walls of rushing water that turned narrow streets into death traps and spawned torrents that poured into the ground floors and garages of houses and apartment blocks.
Angry residents in several towns said mobile phone alerts had not been sent out until 8pm on Tuesday, when serious flooding had already occurred in some areas - and several hours after the national weather service, Aemet, had issued a red alert for exceptionally heavy rains.
Laura Villaescusa, who lives in the Valencia suburb of La Torre, told Reuters: "Those people wouldn't have died if they had been warned in time."
One man told the news site Eldiario.es that the alert came when he was already trapped in his car with flood waters up to his chest. "Just after 8pm, after an hour with water up to my neck and swallowing mud, the alert went off," he said.
Bu hikaye The Guardian dergisinin November 01, 2024 baskısından alınmıştır.
Binlerce özenle seçilmiş premium hikayeye ve 9.000'den fazla dergi ve gazeteye erişmek için Magzter GOLD'a abone olun.
Zaten abone misiniz? Oturum aç
The Guardian'den DAHA FAZLA HİKAYE
The Guardian
'A most shocking day'
Historic arrest on a rainy winter morning
5 mins
February 20, 2026
The Guardian
Rovers on top of the world after resisting Brisbane fightback
Hull KR are champions of the rugby league world for the first time in their history, after holding off a late rally from the NRL premiers Brisbane Broncos to win a first World Club Challenge.
3 mins
February 20, 2026
The Guardian
Scars of past title near-misses run deep for Arsenal
Late Wolves leveller means seven dropped points from winning positions in 2026 - but Saka rejects pressure talk
3 mins
February 20, 2026
The Guardian
King says 'law must take its course' after Andrew arrest
Former prince freed 'under investigation' last night, say police Misconduct in public office allegations at centre of inquiry
4 mins
February 20, 2026
The Guardian
Man arrested after two teenagers are found dead at holiday park
A man has been arrested after two teenagers were found dead at a holiday park on the Yorkshire coast in a suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, police said yesterday.
1 mins
February 20, 2026
The Guardian
UK police Nine forces investigating Epstein ties
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested yesterday after years of mounting controversy over his relationship with the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Guardian
Retailer eBay buys Depop for $1.2bn as it tries to lure young buyers
The online retailer eBay has agreed to buy the British secondhand fashion resale app Depop from Etsy for about $1.2bn (£890m) in cash, as eBay targets younger fashion-loving consumers.
2 mins
February 20, 2026
The Guardian
Gunners lead clubs striving to keep disabled fans in the game
The Emirates Stadium has made huge strides improving facilities to ensure the needs of all supporters are met
4 mins
February 20, 2026
The Guardian
Bullying claims from 2017 dog Starmer's new civil service chief
Keir Starmer’s decision to appoint Antonia Romeo as the country’s most senior civil servant has prompted dismay among former colleagues who complained about what they considered bullying behaviour when she was a diplomat in New York.
3 mins
February 20, 2026
The Guardian
FBI investigated Giuffre's claims against Andrew in 2011, files show
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been on the radar of US law enforcement for nearly 15 years, documents released by the US Department of Justice have revealed.
3 mins
February 20, 2026
Listen
Translate
Change font size
